Monday, November 5, 2012

Alton Towers, Guy Fawkes & everything in between

November is looking to be an action-packed month!

We are one week in & already our weekends are almost fully booked out....

Oblivion! One of the bigger thrill rides of the day.
This weekend just passed we went to Alton Towers with some of Em's workmates. For those who don't know - it's a theme park at a castle. Really cool!

Being that it is on castle grounds, you can safely assume Alton Towers is in the middle of nowhere - and you'd be correct. We drove for approx. 3hrs to get to this tourist attraction.

Highlights of the weekend would have been (in no particular order)...
- Oblivion. A roller coaster that sees you free fall into a gaping hole in the ground only to resurface about 5 seconds later. For a more thrilling experience, I would definitely recommend sitting at the front of this ride & keeping your hands off the grips. I slipped off the seat and was hanging over the edge looking into the black abyss below - the only thing holding me there was the chest support. Adrenaline overload!

- Nemesis Sub-Terra. A walk-through with actors there to guide/scare you. A little bit of a roller coaster drop part way through, but this is definitely more on the psychological side of things. Em was not a fan of this one. A few ideas to make this a bit more scary - it needed something to drop from the ceiling in the 2nd elevator ride & it needed to close the elevator doors after the self-destruct countdown.. even for a few seconds - really get the blood pumping. Loved it! Would do this one again (and really want to film inside)

- Air. A quick roller coaster that sees you flying through the park with your feet dangling below you. Keep your hands out for that authentic feel and get ready for the loop-de-loops.

There were so many rides we got to try & each had their own unique feel but these were ones I would do again in a heartbeat.

It's Guy Fawkes Day today. "Remember, remember, the 5th of November." Now, in Australia, we don't celebrate this - we unfortunately don't have any recognition/special calendar days set aside for pyromaniacs. I really think there is a market for this though.

Fireworks have been going off all weekend and I have been told that most of the councils will be arranging massive bonfires as well as fireworks displays.

However, tonight - Em & I will be heading to a movie/seminar guest starring Richard Ayoade (best known for his role in the IT Crowd - Moss). Exciting!

I'm not sure what to expect but it beats sitting at home all night.

Next Saturday, we will be venturing to Harry Potter world (I'm sure there will be a separate blog post about that) and then I may be lucky enough to head to Copenhagen for a weekend retreat (there will definitely be a post about that trip)

For now, this will have to suffice. Let me know if there is anything you would all like me to report on while I am here.

I have just received news that Psy (Gangnam style singer) is coming to London on Wednesday. I will most likely be heading to see him and will take many photos I'm sure.

1 comment:

  1. Videos of you Gangnam Styling it up or it didn't happen ;)

    ReplyDelete